Thursday 23 October 2014

Grey Phalarope

For the last few days there's been a very confiding 1st winter Grey Phalarope present on the Otter estuary in Devon. With reports of it getting 'too close to focus on' I decided to take a look for myself yesterday as I was working just a few miles up the road. When I arrived there was nobody there except a single woman out toward the estuary mouth. I figured she must be watching it and set off along the footpath behind the shingle ridge. I hadn't gone more than 20 metres when I just happen to glance to my left and there it was, about 10 ft away quite happily feeding and ignoring all passers by. I nearly walked right past it! What a stunning little bird though. I spent nearly three hours watching as people came and went and it didn't care in the slightest. The light was poor but I got a few shots of it. Dave Helliar got much better photos from the day before:

Grey Phalarope: Dave Helliar
Grey Phalarope: Dave Helliar
Grey Phalarope: Dave Helliar
Grey Phalarope: Dave Helliar

Grey Phalarope, Budleigh Salterton: R. Harris
Grey Phalarope, Budleigh Salterton: R. Harris
Grey Phalarope, Budleigh Salterton: R. Harris
Grey Phalarope, Budleigh Salterton: R. Harris
and some video too...


Grey Phalarope, Budleigh Salterton: R. Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment