Monday 12 March 2018

Sparrowhawk...

Had a surprise today when this young Sparrowhawk rocked up in the garden. I saw it land on top of the bird feeding station, scattering all of the occupants. I grabbed my camera and took a few snaps through the dining room window before venturing into the back garden, expecting it to fly off as they normally do. But it didn’t. It saw me and changed position on the cage but didn’t fly off, so I walked closer. I got to within 15 ft and began snapping away again, surely it would fly any second now?

However it still didn't leave, occasionally glancing at me but otherwise trying to work out how it could get inside the cage. I walked towards it in full view and raised my camera again, still it wasn't bothered so after a couple more pictures I walked right up to it. It was just 5 ft away - it had no fear of me whatsoever, indeed it looked right at me and then down into the cage, flew closer still and I had to back off slightly so that the camera could focus!

Sparrowhawk just 5ft away

Sparrowhawk!


What a magnificent bird...hope it doesn’t get the
Hawfinch though!

Stare of death, just look at those eyes!


How do I get in here?

Never had one act like this before myself, they are usually very skittish and will fly at the slightest movement. Incredible to see one this close.

No comments:

Post a Comment