Tuesday 22 October 2013

Fungi foraging...

Now that we are well into Autumn, I though it might be nice to start including a few fungi sightings. I've never really been into them too much for three reasons:

1) They can be incredibly, frustratingly difficult to identify!!
2) I don't eat them and have never felt the urge to know what they are because...
3) There are just too many of them. Over 2500 species just in the UK and I'm not sure I'll ever get the hang of ID'ing them.

That said, there are some that are distinctive, some that are very beautiful and if I can identify them, I'll post them on here, as it is a wildlife blog and I like to be inclusive:

Russula nobilis (Beechwood Sickener): Doug Stannard
Poisonous!
Russula emetica (or Sickener): R. Harris
Found under conifers, poisonous!
Hypholoma fasciculare: R. Harris
Calocera viscosa: R. Harris
Lycoperdon perlatum (Common Puffball): R. Harris
Lycoperdon perlatum (Common Puffball): R. Harris

They can certainly be very colourful if nothing else.

No comments:

Post a Comment