Monday 1 July 2013

Pyramids and bees...


I went searching for musk orchid in Dorset at the weekend with Mr Grinter. I last visited the site about 30 years ago but little had changed. It's one of those 'oldie worldly' hidden chalk grassland gems, a little fragment of what the surrounding countryside must have been like a century ago. Despite an hour of careful searching though, none were to be found. Whether they've disappeared or the late season we are having just means they haven't caught up yet, I don't know - the latter I hope. There were plenty of other more common orchids there though and undeniably much more colourful than musk orchid, including my favourites...

Pyramidal orchid: R. Harris
Pyramidal orchid: R. Harris
Bee orchid (my favourite): R. Harris
Bee orchid: R. Harris
Bee orchid: R. Harris
Bee orchid: R. Harris
Bee orchid: R. Harris
Common spotted orchid: R. Harris
Common spotted orchid (pale version): R. Harris

Common twayblade: R. Harris
Common twayblade: R. Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment