Saturday 1 April 2017

Adders...

I've been visiting the Isle-of-Wight regularly now for many years during the Easter holiday and this year's no exception. It's like stepping back in time, in more ways than one, and we always have a relaxing time here.

It's also one of the best places I know of these days for seeing Common Adders Vipera berus. In my part of the South West they have all but vanished but here I can almost guarantee sightings in the Spring. This visit yielded the first specimen within an hour of landing on the Island. 

Common Adder Vipera berus,  nr Freshwater, I-O-W
This one is just about to slough. 

And with the Nikon P900 I can get a decent shot without disturbance, nice to walk away and leave this one sunning itself - it's important not to disturb them, particularly when they have recently emerged and are gearing up for the breeding season ahead.

2nd April: Another female today near Blackgang Chine - what a beauty! This was about as big as you normally see in the UK.

Vipera berus, female- Blackgang Chine, I-O-W

Also had a Red Kite nearby at St Catherine's Oratory, which drifted in off the sea.

Red Kite, I-O-W

No comments:

Post a Comment