Saturday 4 November 2017

(Another) Black Redstart...

After dropping my son off in Axminster for his drama club this morning, I decided to take a walk around nearby Trinity Hill LNR. I often visit the site, for reptiles in the spring and summer and for birding just about anytime. Today it was pretty quiet though. After navigation large waterlogged sections of track (and nearly loosing my wellies twice to the mud), all I had to show for my efforts were 4 Snipe, a couple of Stonechat, half-a-dozen Reed Bunting, a few Meadow Pipit and a Yellow Hammer.

As the weather was still good, I decided to take Jake to Seaton for a walk along the beach (I promise you, he's my son, not the family pet). As we neared The Hideaway cafe at the western end of the promenade we decided we didn't want to head straight back and instead chose to continue along  the beach to Seaton Hole and walk back to Seaton along the main road. A hundred meters along the beach a small bird flitted up onto the boulders placed at the base of the cliff to act as a sea break. Before I even lifted my bins, I knew it was going to be a Black Redstart but I wasn't expecting it to be a cracking male!

Black Redstart, male, Seaton: R Harris

Black Redstart, male, Seaton: R Harris

Black Redstart, male, Seaton: R Harris

Black Redstart, male, Seaton: R Harris
Black Redstart, male, Seaton: R Harris

This is my second Black Red this week and males are always a treat to see, what a handsome little bird.

1 comment:

  1. Stonking bird, especially on your local patch.Trinity hill nr is one of my favourite places to visit, when we are down there with the caravan, struggled with reptiles though!!

    ReplyDelete