Friday 9 March 2018

Getting up-close and personal with some of our Winter visitors...

This winter has provided unprecedented opportunities for me to film and photograph some of our more scarce winter finches right here in my own garden. Regulars like the Siskin have built in numbers since the 'Beast from the East' snowstorm last week and are now hovering around 30 birds whilst the long-staying Hawfinch continues to visit the bird table along with Brambling, which now vary from 8-14 birds daily. Filming them over the last few days have allowed magnificent views - this morning the Hawfinch was feeding just 3 ft from me (although I was well hidden). The results are below. It's not often I can see, let alone film, these beautiful birds as close as this.

The real 'Beast from the East'
Side-by-side, a Siskin stands right next to the Hawfinch
and the size difference is incredible. R. Harris
Female Brambling enjoying the seeds

No comments:

Post a Comment