Saturday 11 August 2018

The Western Highlands part 3...Golden Eagles...

Five days into our holiday on the Scottish west coast and I get the opportunity for a morning of  birding. I decided to head back onto Skye to look for more eagles.  After crossing the bridge I made a quick stop to photograph Hooded Crows on the green at Kyleakin.

The Skye Bridge from Kyleakin.

Hooded Crow, Kyleakin.

Hooded Crow, Kyleakin.

Hooded Crow, Kyleakin.

Then it was on to the RSPB Otter Hide at Kylerhea, which overlooks the narrow straights between Skye and the mainland. This narrow straight is served by the original Gleneld - Skye ferry. This place has White-tailed and Golden Eagles, Otters (no surprise there) and both Grey and Harbour seals. Today though...only Grey Seals and a flock of 32 Goosander.


One of the oldest vehicle ferries in Scotland.

Flock of Goosander, Kylerhea.

Large bull Grey Seal and his female entourage, Kylerhea.

I should mention at this point that I've been on the lookout for Otters all week and Pine Marten too. Despite being in probably the best areas for both of these species anywhere in the UK, it wasn't to be. I even took to performing night drives around many of the narrow, single track roads in the area to try and glimpse a Pine Marten but I continually drew a blank. Both have even been seen at our cottage in Dornie! We met locals who see them regularly. Persistent though I was (early morning walks and late night drives) they will just have to wait for my next visit.

After leaving Kylerhea I drove further along the coast to Torrin  (another site for Dark Red Helleborine), though the weather had taken a turn for the worse by then and it was raining steadily. After a much needed coffe stop at The Blue Shed, I drove around the Loch to look for a more sheltered spot to stop. After half-an-hour the rain had eased off. I got out of the car to look at some Common Butterwort that had finished flowering.

The Blue Shed cafe - best coffee all week.

Torrin, looking north into the mountains.

Common Butterwort leaves.
I then scanned the surrounding mountains and there it was, a Golden Eagle flying in front of the mountain at the end of the Loch about half a mile away! I saw it land on the mountain and then frustratingly lost it to view. I only had bins with me and by some miracle I managed to find it again, see if you can spot it.

Can you find  it?

Maxed out on the P900, now you can see it.

Eventually it took off again and was almost immediately joined by two others, what a fantastic sight to see, I couldn't believe my luck.  The original bird then glided straight towards me and passed within a few hundred meters.

I was ecstatic, I had waited all week to see one and then three came along at once!

Golden Eagle, Torrin.

Still distant at this point but you can see what it is.

Golden Eagle, Torrin

Golden Eagle, Torrin
No visit to the Highlands would be complete without one of these...

Rock Dove, Torrin

By the time I'd finished watching these magnificent birds it was time to rendezvous with the family again so I didn't get time to look for the Dark Red Helleborines, can't have everything. We finish the day with a visit to the local cinema. Not just any cinema though, this is the mobile cinema operated by Screen Machine.  It's a fold out articulated lorry trailer that converts to an 80 seat cinema and has all the comforts of the real thing - great fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment