Saturday 1 June 2019

Off my feet...

Day 5 and 6, Pijibasal, Darién, Panama

It's 4 am again and we are up and preparing to head off into the jungle once more.  The adult must return today, it's been at least three days since it last fed the chick. I'm still in a heap of pain with my feet and decide to head off ahead of the team to get a head start. As I head out of the village I'm hobbling badly and I can soon tell that the 1 hour 20 min walk is going to take an awful lot longer. Thankfully the flooding from the previous evening has receded but it takes me 20 minutes to go just a few hundred meters. Nigel, Mike and the team soon catch me up and I have to make the frustrating decision to return to the village. There will be no adult Harpy for me today... or indeed tomorrow.

I decide to make use of the time and try to get a few aerial shots with the drone before giving in and putting my feet up. They're a real mess and I can barely walk on them, I wish I'd never seen those wellies! The people in Pijibasal are fantastic though. They appear from time to time to check on me, supply me with cream to put on the blisters and bring me meals and drinks to my bed - unbelievably kind and generous!

I can't even get up to walk around the village birding but I do see Buff-breasted Wren, Blue-headed Parrot, Blue-gray Tanager and Red-crowned Woodpecker from my confines.

Room with a view 'The Hotel' Pijibasal

It's quite a drop out of our room - hope nobody sleep walks!

You can't beat open-air rooms but mosi defence is a must.

After the floods of the previous day, I can see why their houses are on stilts.

Magic potion - two of ladies brought
me a mango foot bath to help the blisters.
The result was nothing short of miraculous!

Our lodgings from the front.

The kitchen and communal eating area

Our sleeping quarters from outside.

On both days the Harpy adult doesn't appear and everyone is getting a little worried for the chick. There's talk of how they'll proceed if neither adult appears in the next day or two, it may have to be rescued and taken into care in Panama City. Not a prospect anyone wants to think too much about.

The delay in getting the shots has also messed with our scheduled filming itinerary. We shouldn't still be here but instead heading towards the Canopy Tower near Panama City. However, we can't leave without trying one more time. Tomorrow is the last chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment