Saturday 26 October 2019

Guatemala...

Guatemala isn't a country that was on my bucket list to visit. To be honest, like most people I thought it was dangerous and I didn't really know anything about it other than the fact it had a long drawn-out civil war from the 1950's to the 1990's that I could remember as a kid when I was growing up.

When I found out I would be filming there, I was a little apprehensive at first. Then, having to spoken to colleagues in the travel industry...I was VERY apprehensive! Tales of gunshots ringing out all night in Guatemala City, stories of armed robbery on the highways at night. I wasn't sure I was looking forward to this leg of the trip.  But how wrong could I be...

Guatemala - sandwiched in between Mexico, Belize, San Salvador,
Honduras and the Pacific Ocean!

We took an mid-morning flight out of San José to Guatemala City and arrived to meet our wonderful guides and travelling companions from Anywhere Guatemala Nature that Nigel and I had met at the Birdfair earlier in the summer. Joining us were owner of the company Bitty Ramirez-Potilla, Central American herping expert, Rowland Griffin from Indigo Expeditions, Andrew Reoyo Jones of Surreal Films and Renee Berger, an avid female herper who's family own Las Guacamayas Biological Station.

We were scheduled to fly out of Guatemala City again at 4 pm so we checked-in all of our bags at the Avianca desk and headed for lunch at Clios where we were amazed to find a welcoming party of 20 guests made up of hosts, guides and tourism industry representatives who will be hosting us throughout the 18 days of filming here!

It's very surreal, I can't quite believe we'd been given such an incredible welcome and it's a very humbling experience.

After meeting the people who made it all happen, we finish lunch and head straight back to the airport to board our flight to Flores in the north of the country. The first five days will be spent up there exploring the hot and humid lowlands.

We arrive in Flores just after dark, board our mini coach and drive half-an-hour to our accommodation for the first night, the luxurious Las Lugunas Boutique Hotel. This is certainly NOT something we are use to on filming trips and we were really spoilt to stay here. It's probably one of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed in...another unexpected side of Guatemala.

Their stunning pool overlooking the lake

The accommodations sit on stilts over the lake.

One of the biggest beds I've ever seen with hot tub in the room beyond

Bathroom with a big window...so you can see the lake!

The view from my room at sunrise was incredible

Just to give it some perspective...

The hotel does boat trips around the lake too.

It's so beautiful, and there are plenty of birds here too.

Despite the comforts of the room I find I'm up early (hence the sunrise shots) and head out for a spot of birding before breakfast. It's already incredibly hot and humid and it's not even 7 am yet. The clouds of Mangrove Swallows never seem to settle for long but there are one or two gems out and about.

Green Heron

Little Blue Heron

Olive-throated Parakeet

After breakfast we prepare for our first shoot of the day and head out on the boat to see some of the local primates.


Central American Spider Monkey

Mangrove Swallow

I've already changed my mind about Guatemala. It's shown itself to be a very beautiful, colourful country with wonderfully generous and welcoming people. I find myself very much looking forward to the coming days and weeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment